Thursday, July 20, 2017

YAS 280 vs YAS 62 ii

I have recorded a small test to illustrate the difference between the YAS 280 and YAS 62 ii.

Here are a few things to note:

I recorded these with a stock mouthpiece. It has no brand and came with one of the horns. It's to show like the reviewer at SH woodwind says, you can literally stick any mouthpiece on these horns and they sound quite good. (for that reason there are a few tuning issues - I've never used the mouthpiece before)

The reed was a used Vandoren Java strength 2

I used a RODE NT3. The only effect was a little reverb.

 https://soundcloud.com/mattav/body-and-soul-yas-62-ii-test-comparison

https://soundcloud.com/mattav/body-and-soul-yas-480-sax-comparison-test

How do I feel?

Aside being a little uncomfortable on the new mouthpiece I feel that considering that, they play pretty well and fairly similarly. I was afraid to push too much higher up and as the sound on this mouthpiece was a little brittle, but they both handled it really well.

The YAS 62 ii is clearly a little warmer and has more depth to the sound. A bit fuller and a little more bite in the sound. Still the YAS 280 has a good clear sound, warm and pleasing, though with a little more of the metalic edge than the other. Both are clearly playable in my opinion. I'd be happy to receive feedback from others.



No comments:

Post a Comment