Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Yamaha alto saxes - cheap vs expensive

I play Yamaha saxes mainly. I have had alot of them other years and they are great horns from bottom to top. They suit me and I like their sound. Having owned both the cheapest and pro model horns many people ask me what the difference is?

To answer that fully is probably beyond the scope of this blog. There are lots of technical articles on these horns and a good start is here at SH Woodwind. http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Yamaha_YAS475.htm Excellent technical reviews of most modern saxes. Here is a YAS 475 for example. Check out others if you are interested in buying a horn. It's really a great read. For something a little simpler have a look here: http://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever.com/yamaha-saxophone-overview/

So what about Yamaha Altos. Let's say YAS 480 vs a YAS62 II? What do I say?

The YAS 480 is a great horn. It's well made, plays in tune throughout and has a good clear tone. It's probably on the brighter side of saxophones in terms of tone, and with a solid mouthpiece it can give a very decent tone. I've used mine with a variety of mouthpieces and been happy with them all. The sax has a solid feel to it, the key-work fits great in the hands. Overall a solid sax and for the price you really can't go wrong. I've played mine in lots of gigs.

The YAS62 II - Having owned a great YTS 62 II this wasn't a difficult choice when one came my way. I only stopped playing the tenor because of wanting to focus on Alto but it was a great horn with a wonderful sound. The 62 is basically an improved 480. Immediately the action and handling feel very similar and it makes you feel right at home from the get go. Tone wise as you would expect from a more expensive horn, it is fuller and somewhat less bright especially higher up, but still has alot of power and projection like the cheaper model. The lowest note are fuller and have more snap or punch to them than the less expensive sax.
 Again if you prefer a more mellow saxophone maybe this is not your thing, but in my experience you can play pretty much any way you like, and with the right kind of mouthpiece for your individual sound you can set it up to your way of playing. I use a Selmer Soloist C* and I'm very happy. It's got alot of clarity, with a smooth warm tone which plays well from bottom to top.

I've made some recordings with both which I will post here. As always the ears are the best judge. I will add to this post in due course. For now here are some from the web:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9cirfzmGCs

Bob Reynolds - From 5:33 - Watch this great video. Later he plays his YAS 62. Wonderful tone for someone who says he doesn't play alto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct0w-gVTqmg

Greg Vail demonstrating the YAS 480

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI88dv_CdTk

Greg Vail demonstrating the YAS 62 III

No comments:

Post a Comment