Monday, July 10, 2017

What scales ARE and what they are NOT - Jazzadvice.com

I was about to write about this but when I read this post on jazzadvice.com I thought better of it because it sums up exactly how I feel. Just because you know a particular scale to play over a particular chord, doesn't necessarily give you the sound you are looking for when soloing. We have all been in this position. "What do you play on that chord?" - We get an answer, try it out and it sounds awful. Yes, scales give us a starting point, but unless we know what to do with them, it doesn't go a lot further than that. Sometimes it can even be a hindrance. "So and so told me they play that scale so I need to play that" -  when actually our ears are screaming at us to play something different! I think players of all levels would enjoy reading this article. We all need the reminder from time to time. Yes, scales are important and the basis for many things, but until we explore the different possibilities and sounds by hearing and trying them out in context to see what fits our particular way of playing, it is unlikely to take as far as we would like.

http://www.jazzadvice.com/scales-are-not-the-secret-short-cut-to-jazz-improvisation/

No comments:

Post a Comment